Back with more things that I learned this month! I am really liking this segment so far, it really helps me think about what I did in a month and what I can improve upon for April. March was an interesting month for me because I had a lot of realizations and came to many conclusions about how I am living my life and spending my time and so on. But still it was a good month. I can’t complain :)
This month I learned:
01. You don’t constantly have to be surrounded by people to be happy. When I first arrived in Amsterdam I constantly felt lonely. I didn’t know many people and even the ones I did know I didn’t see very much. I very much based my happiness on how many friends I had, which was wrong. Now that I am settled in here I don’t mind doing things on my own, sometimes its even better than constantly being surrounded by people.
02. Positivity is a choice. I’ve heard this so many times, but now I know that it is true. It really is a choice. You just have to get in the right mindset, which can be very difficult. It took me a couple of years! But now that I am here I never want to go back, it feels great.
03. How to ride a bike in Amsterdam. I almost decided not to buy a bike when I first got here because it looked kind of frightening. What a mistake that would have been! Riding a bike in Amsterdam is so exhilarating and fun! I am so happy that I chose not to miss this experience.
04. That I need to make some new goals. I realized that going on exchange was really the last big goal/dream that I had, and I am doing it right now. Other than more travel destinations I really need to think of some new things that I want to accomplish in my life. Heres to dreaming.
05. That Ernest Hemingway is probably my favorite author. (Next to Jane Austen of course). I just love his writing style and novels. They always make me want to travel even more.
06. That you shouldn’t put your phone in your pocket while riding a bike. This is a sad story to tell… I completely cracked and scratched my phone screen due to it falling out of my pocket while cycling. What a way to learn how not to do something.
This post idea originated from chattingwiththesky.
Until next time x
I recently discovered ‘The Happy List’ on one of my favorite blogs Nothing Spaces. As soon as I read through the post it struck me as something to remind yourself that minute (sometimes) everyday occurrences can make you happy too. Its easy to get caught up in your dreams and big goals that often seem to be going nowhere, which makes it a good idea to just sit back and review the things that are going right in your life. Such as the fact that its summer. ;) And of course, after reading through hers I had to try and make a list of my own. So here goes.
- Watching ‘Pride and Prejudice’
- Drinking tea
- Finishing a project after lots of hard work
- Sitting in coffee shops chatting with my boyfriend
- Taking photographs in the rain
- The smell of freshly cut grass
- Trips to the ocean with my family
- City lights at night
- Planning trips abroad
- That sleepy feeling after a day of adventure
I encourage everyone to try and make their own happy list. Also check out the original happy list author here.
I actually found it difficult to come up with ten things that made me happy. I don’t know if that is sad or what but yeah. Its probably sad. Maybe its time to reevaluate a few things. In any case have a happy week :)
I discovered these two amazing musicians just the other day and their music really touched me. However, its not only the music but the length they go to film their videos in various locations. It showed me that, I too, need to work hard and then maybe someday I can achieve my dreams such as these musicians are living theirs.
I particularly loved this video and the spin they put on Coldplay’s song, Paradise. Its rather unique and works really well, in my opinion. Alex Boye’s singing allows you to delve into a new culture, which I enjoy immensely. I want to learn as much about the world as I possibly can. Even if its just through music. Which I believe, in fact. can teach you a lot.
And once again I have this feeling that I need to begin learning guitar for the 1000th time.
Lately I have been having my fair share of strange, unexplainable nightmares. I wake up confused and find that no matter what I do can’t fall back asleep. Afterwards I am thinking to deeply as to why I would ever dream such a thing.
After taking psychology now for one and a half years I am fairly certain that we need dreams and/or nightmares to survive. They help us sort out our everyday lives and to make sense of it all – no matter how strange the dream may appear.
So after trying to unravel my dreams and coming up with nothing, I decided Google could be my best friend at this very moment.
The first dream I had involved killing a spider that had the longest legs I had ever seen in proportion to its body. Somehow dreams always seem realistic when you’re dreaming but when you wake up you realize how unrealistic it really was. The spider is symbolic of feminine power or an overbearing mother figure in your life. I was actually shocked at how true this was to my life right now. Who knew dream interpretations really worked?
The next dream involved a stickman running into my room with a crossbow and killing me. That sounds ridiculous but – No, it is just ridiculous. Why a stickman? To dream that you die in a dream symbolizes inner changes, transformation, self discovery and positive development. Again, these all seem relatively exact when compared to my daily life. But on a negative note, you may be feeling depressed or feel strangled by a person or situation. Also true.
And the last dream I will not even begin to describe as it made absolutely no sense, as most of my dreams do. I’ll just pick out two key things within it. Werewolf – indicates that something in your life is not what it seems. It is symbolic of fear and repressed anger. This one is a little less exact but I suppose I do have some repressed anger with a few people…. hehe. Mountains – signifies many obstacles and challenges you must overcome. This one is very true! I only hope that I can achieve all of my goals.
I wish I could remember more of my dreams as these interpretations really do make you think about what is going on in your life.